Thursday, February 19, 2009

Monte Cristo Sandwiches

I LOVE sandwiches, and i could probably dedicate a whole blog to the delicious and endless combination of ingredients that can go in between 2 slices of bread. Sharl thinks I make the best sandwiches and it warms my heart every time he tells me so as he bites into one of my creations.

I had a sandwich similar to this in Paris in le Marais (called a croque monsieur), but the one I loved most was actually served at Fran's on College St. in the TDot. Basically it's french toast made into a sandwich. It's super easy and really delicious. I decided to re-create it to the best of my memory for dinner last night and it took less than 15 minutes. It's gooey, melty, cheesy, crispy eggy goodness. My recipe serves 2, naturally...;)


Ingredients
4 slices Bread (I used whole multi-grain bread)
Dijon mustard
6 slices Black forest ham (you could also use turkey)
2 or more slices of cheese (I used marble cheese, but you can use what you like)
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp of butter

Directions
Assemble sandwiches with mustard, ham and cheese.
Dip the sandwiches into the beaten eggs so that both sides are well coated.
Melt 1tsp of butter in a skillet under medium-low heat and brown the sandwiches until eggs are cooked, cheese is melted and bread turns golden (about 4 minutes per side)

I served this alongside a simple salad of arugula, tomatoes and cucumbers in a homemade honey-dijon vinaigrette.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

omg. This looks delicious. I can't wait to make it.