Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Spaghetti with Butternut Squash and Prosciutto

This recipe happened by accident but what a happy accident it turned out to be! I had made butternut squash casserole for a (cancelled) Christmas dinner party and had a lot leftover, so I decided to toss it with cheese and pasta. There's only so much you can take when it comes to leftovers so instead of tossing it out, I like to reinvent it. I've had ravioli with butternut squash before so it led me to believe that my leftover butternut squash casserole would work well with pasta, creamy cheese and salty prosciutto. It was a match made in heaven. Would have been even lovelier with fresh sage or basil but I didn't have any.

Ingredients
1 butternut squash, halved
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp cream cheese
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
4 slices prosciutto chopped
spaghetti cooked al dente

Directions
Roast butternut squash cut side down in 350 oven for about 45 minutes or until tender.
When squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh into a large bowl, and add butter maple syrup cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste and purée with a hand mixer until smooth. Add a little apple juice or water if the consistency is too thick.
Pour hot squash puree over spaghetti and cut cream cheese into little cubes tossing to coat the spaghetti and melt the cheese. Top with prosciutto and parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kimberly it's Brian (the former co-op). I just clicked on your site from fb because the dish you made looked so yummy. You have a great blog, it's making me very hungry lol