Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Moroccan Chicken with Apple Cranberry Couscous

Yesterday I just couldn't decide what to make for dinner. All of my go to dishes felt boring. I didn't want rice or pasta or potatoes...I wanted to try a new starch that I usually never eat, so I thought I'd give couscous a try. I've had it before but have never made it at home. It was so easy! I decided to look up the spices used in Moroccan food and try out my own rendition of Moroccan food at home. Here's what I came up with!

Ingredients
Chicken
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground corriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper

Couscous
1 tsp butter
3 green onions sliced
1 macintosh apple diced
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp red onion diced
handful cranberries
2/3 cup couscous
1/3 cup boiling water
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey
salt & pepper

Directions
Combine cinnamon, cumin, corriander, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl and coat chicken. Grill until cooked through (about 7-8 minutes per side)
Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan and sauté apples, green onions, cinnamon and curry powder until the spices are fragrant and apples have softened slightly.
Stir in red onion and cranberries and couscous.
Stir in orange juice and boiling water and cover pot for 5 minutes.
Once the couscous has absorbed the liquid, fluff it up with a fork and mix in olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
Serve alongside grilled chicken and vegetable of choice.

No comments: